Re: [DebianGIS] Current state of Geos and TileCache packages in Squeeze

On Sep 25, 2010, at 10:52 PM, ext Paul Wise wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Ivan Mincik <ivan.mincik@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Paul:
>>>
>>> please only request removal from squeeze if it has fatal RC bugs,
>>> not because you are unhappy with the version number.
>>
>> Maybe the best idea is to fix the bug I mentioned above and leave this
>> package in Squeeze. The patch is very trivial and it is fixing
>> important and often used feature - meta tiling. Is it possible ?
>
> Is Christopher still interested in maintaining it?
>
> If so, he should prepare an upload, get it approved by the release
> team and get someone to upload it.
>
> If not, the package should be orphaned, someone can prepare a QA
> upload (or adopt it) and that someone can get approval from the
> release team and then get someone to upload it.
>
> Given that the package has not seen a maintainer upload in more than
> two years, I doubt Christopher is still interested in the package.

I've prepared something like 4 different TileCache packages since I
made the first one and never found anyone willing to upload them for
me. After that experience, it is true that I basically gave up.

However, the reason that I haven't been pushing on getting 2.10 into
Debian is because it's broken. The reason I haven't been doing a
2.10+n release is because I haven't had time. Since the version in
Debian works and doesn't have the bug, doing more work for no
benefit didn't seem like it made sense.

-- Chris