Re: [DebianGIS] josm in Debian - web API stability?

All'incirca Fri, 04 Apr 2008 00:11:47 +0200,  Petter Reinholdtsen
<pere@hungry.com> sembrerebbe aver scritto:

> So, josm is in unstable now, and a decision need to be done if it
> should be allowed into testing or not.  In 5-6 days, it will enter
> testing, unless some RC bug is reported or a new upload is done.
>
> Should it go into testing or not?  How much do we trust the OSM web
> API to stay compatible with old versions of josm of the duration of a
> stable release?  If not, an RC bug should be reported to keep it out.
> I have not made up my mind on what I believe is the best option, and
> hope someone else can make that decision. :)

I think we shouldn't assume OSM API to be stable before contacting
upstream and discussing this issue with them. So, since it seems that
nobody has done it so far, I'd follow a conservative behaviour and file
the bug, which can be removed easily later.

In the next few days I'm planning to send an email to the josm-dev
mailing list, telling them about the presence of josm in Debian, the few
patches in our package which could be integrated upstream and
presenting this API stability issue.

Cheers,
Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascellani@gmail.com>
Pisa, Italy

Web: http://giomasce.altervista.org
SIP: g.mascellani@ekiga.net
Jabber: g.mascellani@jabber.org / giovanni@elabor.homelinux.org
GPG: 0x5F1FBF70 (FP: 1EB6 3D43 E201 4DDF 67BD  003F FCB0 BB5C 5F1F BF70)