Re: [DebianGIS] cfitsio3 goes GPL in Debian, so what about GDAL?

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 05:04:29PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> > As explained in #422537 it includes files taken from gzip to support
> > compression. Current maintainer decided to preserve compression
> > support and so moved the license to GPL. Incidentally it is not
> > compatible with GDAL copyright, so a practical possibility is
> > disabling FITS support in GDAL. Another possibility would be
> > re-licensing it as GPL in Debian, but it would imply licensing all its
> > rdepends in the same way. Is there anyone who does not agree about
> > that, due to constraints of one of its rdepends? Ideas? AFAIK
> > licensing under the more 'restrictive' GPL is not a problem due to the
> > BSD-like nature of the upstream license.
>

> IMO it is preferable to maintain/honor the upstream license whenever
> possible. ie relicensing Debian's GDAL packages would be an anti-social
> move on our part, and perhaps cause uneeded confusion for end-users.

Yep, already disabled the FITS support in 1.4.1-5. About licensing
I have to note also that we have some pending issue that I hope
strongly will be solved before lenny release, else we will have
to split gdal in a non-free and free components or in the worst case
move it into non-free. The latter would imply that a great part of
d-gis would move to contrib (i.e. out of Debian).