Re: [DebianGIS] Re: Re: GIS tools missing in Debian?

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:06:45AM +0100, Silke Reimer wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i am increasingly convinced that the debian spirit should be better
> > understood:
> >
> > as main debian is striving to a rock stable environment, the satelite
> > debian projects, as debian gis, should provide state of the specific art
> > packages, all suitable for stable, too.
> >
> > in my opinion, main debian should contain only really generic tools and
> > libraries, to make it hard for a debian subproject to conflict with.
>
> I agree. Specific packages should be contained in subpackages. Custom
> debian distributions (CDD) seem to be a good solution to me. In my opinion it
> would be nice to have a CDD called debian-gis and perhaps
> debian-gis-server, debian-gis-desktop, debian-gis-gps etc.
>
> Those CDDs could be released much more often than the core debian to
> respond to the needs of GIS users. Skolelinux is a good example for that.

We have all the infrastructure in place for that, and we have already
a few stable updated packages around in the dgis repo.
We only need to fill in the stable/experimental repo with all required
packages. Incidentally we all need to backport non-dgis pkgs
occasionally, as in case of postgres8. It is currently available in
backports.org btw, but I have the idea to avoid external dependencies
in order to move towards a true CDD.

BTW, the debian-gis manifesto talks about a CDD. So, what's new? :-)
Feel free to keep up-to-date stable as we like, folks!