[DebianGIS] Re: GIS tools missing in Debian?

[Floris Sluiter]
> The decission was made a while ago, when not all gispackages were in
> stable yet.  It now would hang for example on postgresql (in stable
> still 7.4, we need 8), postgis (still unavailable, allthough easily
> compiled) and php5, two of which are beyond the control of this
> list.

Right, so the next release of debian (etch) will hopefully have all
the tools you would have needed.  That is good to know.

> Debian also lacks an important feature of Fedora: you can not sent a
> check somewhere to obtain a license.

Do they want the license, or do they want to pay someone for having
sometome to blame if something is wrong?  I suspect the latter, as I
have never meet a company where the license as such was the issue.
Covering ones ass by having someone externally to call and blame is on
the other hand more common.

> So yes debianGIS supports almost everything we need (I develop on
> debian) but not all needed software is/was in stable in a compatible
> version.

Great.  Do you use any of the other GIS tools in Debian?