Re: [Pkg-grass-general] Should JUMP be part of Debian-gis?

Hi,

beside JUMP there are several GIS projects in java out there.

There is a general problem with Java software and debian because
of the not yet full featured Swing implementations in the classpath
derived free vm's. I don't know how many people are interested to
java gis software in debian gis.

I am working mainly with java for my research and
would be happy to see also java stuff in debian gis.

If there is interest I can take some time and prepare a summary of
several java gis projects and post it here on the list. This might
give people an overview and can help to make priorities.

I am also interested in helping out with java programs in debian gis.
But I am not a DD and have not yet experience in packaging.

Wolfgang

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
I recently discovered JUMP, <URL:http://www.vividsolutions.com/jump/>,
an GPL GIS tool written in Java.  It seem to me like a nice tool.
Should it be part of the Debian-GIS collection?

We will probably need to work with the Debian Java people to improve
the free VMs to work with it, but it might be worth it.