Re: using gcc-snapshot on m68k?

Mike Furr writes:
> [Please CC, I'm not subscribed]
> Hello gcc team,
>
> One of my packages fails to build on m68k due to excessive memory use by
> g++(~373mb) and thus has RC-bug 207578.  This occurs on all archs, but
> m68k is the only arch without the memory to handle it.  I recently
> discovered[0] that the g++ in gcc-snapshot uses only a fraction of the
> memory on x86 and thus assume that the same is true on m68k.  I would
> very much like to close this bug and get the current version in unstable
> into testing.
>
> To do this, I could either wait for gcc-3.4 to enter unstable, or just
> create a binary on m68k with gcc-snapsot.  Note that the package has
> almost no hope of actually being run on m68k since it requires a
> 3d-accelerated video card.  Thus I don't see any harm in using
> gcc-snapshot just on that arch.  However, if a new gcc release is in the
> near future, I wouldn't mind waiting just a little bit longer for that.
>
> So, do you have any general idea of the upcoming release schedule?  If
> its not 'soon', would be it okay to go ahead and use gcc-snapshot to
> build a package on that arch?  Or do you have any other
> thoughts/suggestions of what I could do?

using g++ from the gcc-snapshot package on m68k means to change the
exception model from sjlj based to dwarf2 based exceptions, so if you
depend on another shared C++ library, this one should be compiled with
gcc-snapshot as well. And most likely you will depend on shared libs
in gcc-snapshot (libgcc, libstdc++), which won't move to testing. So
your packages keeps stuck in unstable. Even if gcc-3.4 gets released
probably in March/April, gcc-3.3 will stay the default compiler until
sarge is released and it's unsure, if gcc-3.4 will make it sarge as an
optional compiler.

maybe just ask debian-release to remove the m68k binaries from
testing, and mark the report as important, if the package doesn't make
sense to use on m68k.

	Matthias