Re: Added RFN-violation bug template to wiki

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 9:53 AM, Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com> wrote:
I think for those who want to use RFNs that desire is perfectly valid.

Therefore I think rather than asking for removal, the recommendation could either be to use (a) a codename for the development of the family that is not reserved (and that Debian will use) or (b) drop the RFN and use trademark assertions/registrations instead.

Yeah, I think the "advise designers on their trademark options" approach has been vastly underexplored. I attempted, briefly, to draft a couple of boilerplate font-name-trademark templates; perhaps it's time to resurrect that project.

IMO, the underlying issue is that RFN clause implements a trademark-like protection within a copyright license; keeping the two separate might make for fewer instances of confusion. But who knows; I'm speculating.