answering questions, not asking new ones (was: Stuck in a hell of routing :()

also sprach Dave Ewart <davee@sungate.co.uk> [2005.03.29.2204 +0200]:
> It is helpful to those answering the (apparently unusual) query to know
> what problem is being addressed, since past history shows that often the
> poster is approaching the problem from the wrong angle, or may even be
> addressing the wrong problem!

Yes, and I have often fallen into that trap. However, at other
times, I have not been able to disclose more information, or it
would have not been worth the effort. At other times, it's just been
plain impossible to convince others that I know pretty well what
I need:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-firewall/2005/03/msg00074.html

> If I post something strange or esoteric as a question, I feel
> obliged to at least *outline* what my motivations are, if only to
> pre-empt the sort of question that *I* would retort were
> I answering that same question.

Agreed. That, or the obvious counter questions should be
pro-actively answered in the first post.

> I suppose we could answer the question but also query the poster's
> motives at the same time :-)

Yes, it is a great way to follow up some initial pointers with the
"if you give more detail, so will I" line.

`. `'`

whatever you do will be insignificant,
but it is very important that you do it.
                                                     -- mahatma gandhi