General networking question

This is only loosely related to firewalls but I thought I'd ask here
before I go adding another mailing list to my email overload.

Current setup:

Internet1 --> FW1 --> switch1 --> multiple computers (65.170.x.x /24)

Internet2 --> FW2 --> switch2 --> multiple computers (65.219.x.x /24)

What I'd like to do is start simple. I'd like to tie the two switches
together so that and computer can be plugged into any switch port and
assigned an IP on either network.

What happens now if I put a jumper between the switches is that both FW
machines start "yelling" about MARTIANS. It works, but the firewalls raise
so much ruckus that I worry they will fail eventually. I want it to look
like this:

Internet1 --> FW1 --> switch1 --> multiple computers (65.170.x.x /24)
                                          ^
Internet2 --> FW2 --> switch2 --> multiple computers (65.219.x.x /24)

This is the starting point that I'd like to reach now.

I'd also like pointers for reading material on how to set the system up so
that if one Internet line fails all of the computers can route through the
other one. No load balanced active bonding, just a failover so all
computers can route through either T-1 but will default to the one on their
own network unless it fails.

Any pointers appreciated. Do I need to reconfigure the firewalls somehow to
make them accept the bonded switches and ignore traffic from the systems
that are not on their own network to make the "martian" reports stop?

Thanks

Gerald