Re: Wireless Security

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 06:24:12AM -0600, R. Wayne McCorkle wrote:

> I understand that WEP is not optimal. My research indicates that IPSec
> would be better. Any suggestions or pointers on setting up IPSec on
> the new firewall? Or, is there someting prefereable to IPSec?

Take a look at:

   http://www.freeswan.org

Patches for the kernel exist in the Debian archives, along with the
management applications.  It is a little more difficult to get an XP box
to connect to FreeS/WAN (I haven't done it yet).  However, there are a
few HOWTOs floating about.

> Will I be able to access Samba services across the network boundary
> from 192.168.1.x to 191.168.2.x?

This completely depends on the ruleset you implement on your firewall.
Routing between the subnets is possible.  However, you might be better
off to use DHCP over IPSEC to assign users in the 192.168.2.x subnet a
192.168.1.x address once they've established an IPSEC tunnel.  This will
effectively make authorized connections part of your existing network.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string
together lots of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks.
-- Vineet Kumar