Re: Recommendations for a simple firewall please

Hi

My machines, all windows, access the net (browsing and download pop email) thru one Linux machine acts as a gateway and it has an ISDN/PPP connection.    The Gateway runs KDM.  The windows machines use telnet, Xfree86 to access Linux.

I use the following script.  Its simple.  Its appears secure.  And I think I even know what it does :-)  I built it after reading various random "how-tos" on iptables, so I cliam no originality for it.

I took this approach cause the myriad of possible firewalls just were too complicated to properly understand, and I wanted something that made sense to me.

Of course I might have it all wrong ....

Ian

-----------------------------------------cut here-------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

# Build a NAT Firewall

# ippp0 interface connects us via ISDN to the Internet
# eth0 connects us to the internal network of mostly windows PCs

#### HOUSE KEEPING

# Flush all the rules in filter and nat tables

   iptables --flush
   iptables --table nat --flush

# Delete all chains that are not in default filter and nat table

   iptables --delete-chain
   iptables --table nat --delete-chain

#### THE RULES

# stop ALL incoming connections on ippp0
#       NEW connections we don't want.
#       INVALID stuff goes no further

   iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW,INVALID -i ippp0 -j DROP

# Hide internal LAN via NAT

   iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface ippp0 -j MASQUERADE

# allow forwarding from local Ethernet

   iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT