Redirecting incoming local ports

Firewall experts,

Despite searching all of the list archives, I couldn't come up with a possible solution to this issue.

What I would like to do is accept connections from my external interface on port 9090 and redirect them to port 80. I do not want connections to port 80 accepted from outside at all.

I've read the HOWTOs and the tutorials and I was satisfied that this recipe might work:

$IPTABLES -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 9090 \
                 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 80

But alas, it doesn't seem to. Then it occurred to me that since the default target of my INPUT chain is REJECT, that I might need to explicitly accept the packets that are (now) destined for port 80. But this produces another problem, which is that I don't want to accept packets inbound on port 80, I only want to accept the ones that have been redirected to port 80.

How can I set this up? Thanks a lot!

--
Aaron Bieber
-