question about squid

Hello list,

here is a discussion about squid. There is a product called smoothwall. You can configure it using
a web interface. For the squid the only setting you can make are just for cacheing. So, is this
squid a real proxy, or just a cache?

Well, my intention is to solve the problem, if we have to build our own firewall or to use a
working one and just configure it to out needs.
Perhaps everybody in this list will tell me to make my own firewall using debian 3.0, but we want
to have a secure and good one without wasting time. It does not have to be working in 2 days, but
i do not have 2 month to realize this "problem".

So, we want that out client´s ips are not visible in the internet. It must look as if all packets
are commint from one ip, the firewall´s one. Is this possible using squid?

Thanks a lot,

Andre