Re: ping sendto: operation not permitted

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 01:12:44AM -0400, bauer@michaelbauer.com wrote:
>  Let me start by saying I know just enough about Linux to be
> dangerous.  I have switched to Debian because I've heard so many
> wonderful things about apt.  After more than a week trying to get
> things installed I have to say it's been a less than satifying
> experience.  Certainly a lot of that had to do with trying to do the
> download over a 56k dialup.  Still, the interface to dselect is
> nowhere near as nice as something like the InteractiveBastille
> interface.  Not having something like chkconfig is also a real pain.
> Nevertheless, I'm almost there but have kind of hit a wall and
> decided I needed to get some help.
> So, I am trying to install woody as a firewall for my home.  I've
> been a bit confused about how to do this.  I've had success with
> bastille before and thought I'd try that again.  This seemed to be
> working out, but I got confused and am not sure I completed this
> correctly.  I don't really understand if bastille is enough, or I
> had to run ipmasq as well or what.  Anyway, I've tried to turn the
> firewall off so I can just connect.  I am not being successful at
> this.  I got pretty far but after getting an IP address from my ISP
> via dhcp I try to do a simple ping to the ISP gateway and get the
> message:
>
>   ping sendto: operation not permitted

	sendto(2) system call failed with errno EPERM,
	operation not permitted => reason is in the
	local firewall rules, chain OUTPUT.

	Otherwise the sendto(2) would have succeeded,
	and the error would come in an ICMP error packet.

--
tv@{{hq.yok.utu,havoc,gaeshido}.fi,{debian,wanderer}.org,stonesoft.com}
double a,b=4,c;main(){for(;++a<2e6;c-=(b=-b)/a++);printf("%f\n",c);}