Re: Firewall on a debian Box.

Currently I'm using a Debian box for our ADSL internet connection and it
works so well, with an increible performance...

I'm using ipchains under a 2.2.18 kernel and the gfcc GUI for setting the
rules... Debian it's a good choice 'cos it installs a really minimum
sistem from the basic installation, and you can add the software as you
need it.

The help, well, I'm think that you are helped now, and I'm sure that
you'll be helped in the future in the list or others, everybody here are a
guru and an apprentice :-D

My favourite links about Linux/Debian firewalling are:

	·http://ipmasq.cjb.net
	·http://netfilter.filewatcher.org/ipchains
	·http://www.linux.no/biblioteket/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO-html/Net-HOWTO.html
	·http://www.linuxdoc.org/ :-)

My steps into the creation of the firewall was:

   1. Preinstallation
	·Descrive the services to provide
	·Write the firewall rules into a paper... you have to know that
	only a rule of masquerading is needed to provide full access to internet!

   2. Installation
	·Install the Debian system (without entering into the dselect,
	only the minimum installation)
	·Install the software, only the necessary, 'cos if you need more
	soft you can install it later... ssh, gfcc, xlib and gtk (for gfcc)

   3. Postinstallation
	·Scan for open ports (nmap) and close the unnecessary
	·Make a nessus scan to the firewall and save it as your first
	auditing document.
	·Send the logs to another host not easily accessible from the
	firewall with syslog-ng, parse it with logcheck, and read it!

Currently I'm using the firewall as:

	·Firewall, with ipchains and gfcc as config tool
	·SMTP gateway
	·POP3 server (from woody, 'cos the potato release don't support
		LDAP yet
	·SSH server for root connections
	·SMTPS, POP3S server from the stunnel package, that provides SSL
		access to the services
	·HTTP server, using the dhttpd package (an HTTP server that only
		supports the GET method, no cgi, no php, no jsp, no
		vulnerabilities

My firewall hardware are:

	·Pentium III 650Mhz
	·64Mb RAM
	·1 EIDE HDD Drive - 9Gb.

The firewall masquerade a few ports to our DMZ network that provides
public services, as secondary DNS services, Web services, or PGP Key
server services...

Pros:
	·You can control the firewall using an easy interface (gfcc)
	·The control comes from the third level of TCP/IP, that ensures
	good refinement, and give me usefull logs (refused connections,
	port attacks, and other stuff)
	·I have a poor maintanance, it's a Debian!

Cons:
	·I was lucky, 'cos in 2 days I had configured the firewall, but I
	know good sysadmins that spent a week into the task...

Hey! You are still here reading the mail!! Really I'm not an absolutely
boring writter!!! :-P

Bye, and good luck with your firewall, I'm waiting into the list your
experience and conclusions...