Re: Accessing machines behind a firewall

Actually, yes.  The floppy is only used during bootup, and from then on it
runs totally out of ramdisk.  A hard drive is spinning almost all the
time, and will fail eventually.

The solid state flashdisks are really nice, but a tad pricey.  Most of us
have old 486's laying in a corner gathering dust, and they can be put to
almost no-cost use this way.  They don't even need a new/bigger hard
drive, in fact any drive they have can be removed.

For really good fault-tolerance, using a passive pci backplane with a few
single-board computers with flash disk is a cool way to go.  It's really
only a couple of relatively simple scripts to have backup boards watching
the live one, and when they see it fail, take over.

All that is is a ifconfig down and ifconfig back up with the downed
systems ip address.  The boot script looks for the first available ip
address from a list, and ifconfigs with it.  If it's the main firewall
address, then it assumes it's the new firewall and starts services.  If
not, then it goes into watch mode, waiting for the current firewall to
die.

--
Dean Carpenter		deano@areyes.com			94TT :)
Areyes, Inc.		Dean.Carpenter@pharma.com

"No matter where you go, there you are"  sayeth Buckaroo 								 across the Eighth Dimension