Re: DMZ

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 06:22:25AM -0700, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> You do need 3 NICs to do this safely, BTW; Cory's reply omitted the one that
> the DSL router connects to (at least here in PacBell territory). Sometimes
> people fake DMZs with IP aliasing on the internal NIC, but doing it this way
> defeats the security purpose of having a DMZ.

My reply (and my current setup) does have a nic that connects to the dsl router.  I have IP aliasing on the external nic, not the internal.  Aliasing the internal wouldn't do much good for security purposes.  The drawing I made actually excluded the switches, here's a more accurate rendition:

              aaa.bbb         /------dmz server1 10.1.x
internet -- dsl router -- dmz-switch
                            /
                           /
       firewall-eth1-------
        eth0
         \          10.0.x
          \---internal lan switches

eth1 is aliased to aaa.bbb and 10.1.x.  If a dmz server is cracked, my internal network traffic still cannot be dumped.

Ray, is this unsafe?  Do you see a problem with my setup?  I am certainly open to constructive criticism.

Cory