Re: impressions, first day of LWE

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 13:44, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> FYI, my impression is that a lot of the recent RedHat moves (charging
> for updates, fedora) are driving away a lot of customers and that's
> resulting in a real spike in Debian interest.  Purely anecdotal, tho.

I'd tend to agree with you here.  One of our services is Linux
training.  In the past we have focused on RedHat training due to brand
recognition.  Our materials are generic but we used RedHat as the main
distro in hands-on portions of the classes.  In the more advanced
classes, if we have time in the schedule, we spend time installing
Debian and other distros.

Interest in Linux training has grown steadily over the last year.

Last quarter, after RedHat's announcements, we received requests for
training on SuSE and specifically NOT RedHat.  The customers'
impressions were that RedHat was leaving the Linux market. (!)

It will be interesting to see how it plays out but I think RedHat shot
themselves in the foot.

Additionally, on the customers' servers we manage, we have always
supported RedHat and Debian.  We use Debian on all of our own servers
and any clients' servers if they don't care about the RedHat brand.
We've always found it a pain to manage two sets of packages for servers
we manage - RPM and deb.  I see no reason to support Fedora.  If a
customer won't pay for RedHat's official product, I don't need another
"community supported distro".  I've got one, it's Debian.

Moving my customers to Debian will actually make my life easier.

-joe
--
     Innovation Software Group, LLC - http://www.innovationsw.com
               Custom Internet and Computer Solutions