Re: sources.list for 9G20

Hi Neil,

thanks again, for the long explanation :)

> Yes, you are running Emdebian Crush 1.0 Lenny.

OK. Good to know.

> deb http://www.emdebian.org/crush lenny main
> deb-src http://www.emdebian.org/crush lenny main

Great! This works. At least, I can "apt-get update" now.

> You are also, therefore, running the old ARM port (armv4|StrongARM)
> instead of the current armel port (which would be suitable for armv5
> normally) or the brand new armhf port (which has a minimum of armv7).
> Changing from ARM to armel (or armhf) is a complete reinstall -
> although the kernel can remain unchanged. There's no support for
> migration from ARM to armel or to armhf. (That might arrive with
> MultiArch but that's not possible yet and ARM will not be able to
> support MultiArch, only armel and armhf.)

I don't have the time and resources at the moment for a complete
reinstall. The system works as it is, I would just need to install a few
additional binaries, i.e. 'strace' and 'perl'.

However, "apt-get upgrade" or "apt-get install" give

   /usr/bin/dpkg: unrecognized option `--status-fd'
   BusyBox v1.16.1 (2010-06-07 16:02:32 EDT) multi-call binary.

> There are, therefore, no package updates for Crush and updating even
> the existing packages is quite likely to fail for some packages. (Crush
> was an almost entirely manual effort {by me}. Many packages didn't
> cross-build automatically and needed a bit of manual "assistance" -
> much of which I've since successfully forgotten to ease the pain...)

yeah

> However, you may as well update the apt source so that at least that
> side of things is happy. You also now know a bit more about what is
> going on and what you are running.
> ;-)

Indeed. Thanks! :)

> Is that enough bad news?

Well, hard to say ;-)

Do you think there is an easy work-around for the above option error of
'dpkg'? Managing to install a few additional tools would keep me happy
for the near future (and the project going), and we can think about a
clean fix in the long term.

Cheers,
- Alex