Re: Installation of Emdebian cross development tools on a Ubuntu host

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> deb http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> line to my sources.list?  I've been under the impression that mixing
> Debian repositories with Ubuntu repositories wasn't a good idea, and
> have been attempting to figure out how to install the cross
> development tools without that repository.

 You're correct, it's not recommended to mix Ubuntu and Debian
 sources.list entries; there might be exceptions but they are rare  :)

> Perhaps that is the source of my problem.  (Although, when I tried
> that, I still had the libmpfr4 problem).

 libmpfr4 is only present in Ubuntu since 10.10 and later releases; if
 you're running e.g. Ubuntu 10.04, you wont have access to this package.

 Ubuntu has pre-packaged cross-compilers for ARM directly in the
 archive since Ubuntu 10.10, so you shouldn't need any special
 repository with recent Ubuntu releases; just sudo apt-get install
 gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi.

 If you're running Ubuntu 10.04, there are backports of this
 cross-toolchain in a PPA maintained by Linaro:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linaro-maintainers/toolchain
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi

 Note that you might get a toolchain newer than the one of your host as
 a result.

    Cheers,
--
Loïc Minier