Re: I'm confused

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 00:05:05 +0530
Abhijit Bera <abhibera@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I use emdebian-grip for compiling packages for Armel?

You don't. You use normal Debian build systems:
dpkg-buildpackage -aarmel.

Then, you pass the armel packages through emdebian-grip -
emdebian-crush contains a helper
(/usr/share/emdebian-crush/emsource.sh) to wrap those stages into one.

> I was
> used to emdebian-tools.

... which simply became impossible to maintain.

emdebian-tools would have gone away before Squeeze anyway. There is
still little chance of any packages for Crush in line with Squeeze.

Please read why:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2009/08/msg00005.html

> I had created a chroot in which I was running
> emdebian-tools with all required packages via apt-cross to compile my
> source. What differences are there now?

Less packages to install. You can use your chroot or you can switch to
using standard Debian build methods by using pdebuild-cross.

You don't need emdebian-tools, you just need to handle the cross
dependencies (apt-cross will do for now but will disappear in due
course) and then build packages as normal.

emdebian-grip is then used to remove the unwanted files - instead of
having to make so many changes to the packages before the build.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/