Re: Linux image packages going to depend on python

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:56:01 +0100
Patrick Matthäi <pmatthaei@debian.org> wrote:

> Am 28.11.2009 18:52, schrieb Bastian Blank:
> > Hi folks
> >
> > The Linux image packages needs to do some modifications to core
> > configuration files like fstab in the future to allow newer kernels to
> > work. To do this and the planned further extension I intend to make all
> > linux image packages depend on python.

This sounds like a maintainer-script issue rather than a direct
requirement of the image itself. Would it be possible for the scripts
to check for python support and continue *without error* if python is
not found? This way, systems that do not have python but *do* have a
setup capable of implementing whatever changes are suitable can still
use a vanilla Debian kernel, e.g. during debugging.

Note 'suitable' - no matter what the kernel does or thinks it needs, it
is not necessarily suitable for the maintainer scripts to fiddle with
system config files on every system.

> > The python package is already part of the standard system via the
> > priority, so for most people this will not make any difference. However
> > there was concerns about the size from the embedded people, so I
> > consider to restrict that to python-minimal.

python-minimal is still a 1.2Mb download and an extra 4Mb unpacked.

> Hi,
>
> if the embedded people may have problems with it, would it be an option
> to rewrite the code (whatever it does) in Perl? I may help out there..

This only affects Debian vanilla kernels and embedded systems that use
those as standard are probably OK with python. Systems that omit python
will also omit perl (via changes mediated via Emdebian where perl is not
essential - there is no "essential" in Emdebian) and use customised
kernels.

Where this does have an impact is on experimentation and debugging
using embedded stuff - it makes it one step harder to test with a
vanilla Debian kernel.