Re: Progress with langupdate and localisation support

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 13:39:56 -0600
Bill Gatliff <bgat@billgatliff.com> wrote:

> The whole "locale thing" is kinda opaque to me, but as I'm
> debootstrapping a grip/armel setup right now I'm dealing with it
> firsthand.  So go forth and.... do whatever.  :)

1. Strip out translation files to separate packages
2. Only download the translation packages you need
	-> you get smaller downloads and less work for the device.
3. Debian gets easier translation updates during a release freeze.

localepurge is not suitable, it fails on 1, 2 and 3 of the criteria
above.

> When I did my debootstrap, the resulting system didn't complain about
> locales at all.  Not satisfied with that :), IIRC I installed locales,
> and things got interesting.  I've seen these errors before, and I'm
> seeing them now:

> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "en_US"
>     are supported and installed on your system.

#!/bin/sh
unset LANG
sudo chroot ...

> It didn't help that the machine OOM'ed when generating the locales with
> dpkg-reconfigure -plow.  And localepurge isn't in grip yet.

locaelpurge will not be in Grip - it's cruft. Grip has a genuine
implementation of locale support that supercedes localepurge.

> > Should langupdate be uploaded to Debian experimental?
> >

> I think so.
>
> > The alternative is cross-building langupdate for all supported Grip
> > architectures.
> >

> I really like keeping everything coupled with Debian proper where
> possible.  So I say don't go this route unless you identify a compelling
> reason.

Except langupdate isn't at all coupled with Debian - at least not for
*two* complete release cycles in Debian. That's a long time.

> > One remaining issue is that the TDebs themselves are in a bit of a
> > state in the repository and so my next task is to finish porting
> > em_autogrip to perl from shell and getting the cron job restarted to
> > maintain the Grip repository automatically.
> >

> Yea, I've been hitting the repo pretty hard this week---- and generally
> loving what I'm finding there!

Lots more still needs to be done - there are various areas that are in
a bit of a mess.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/