Re: /etc/init.d/update-hostname and Networkmanager.

Hi,

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 18:31 +0100, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 05:20:47PM +0100, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:
> > in /etc/init.d/update-hostname we try to set the hostname for the
> > workstations .... from DNS Server.
> >
> > This can not work because Networkmanager is not started.
>
> Strange, it works nicely here (latest DVD installation). The
> workstation get's the hostname entered in GOsa at tjener (don't forget
> ldap2bind after adding the machine). However, NetworkManager is doing
> the job, I could not find a trace of the init script in the logs.
A diskless workstation works fine over dhcp. May be also a solution.
A DVD install report this during booting. Once set the hostname it
remains. May be we have network differences race conditions.

> What fails here is PXE installations (installer freezes).
That bug is reported to the installer team.

> There are still some errors reported after installation from DVD,
> however, I am not sure if they are all to be taken seriously: After
> logging in only about 3 errors remain when running

> /usr/sbin/debian-edu-test-install on the workstation/ltspserver.
> Perhaps most of the errors after first boot are related to not as
> early working network with NetworkManager as without?
>
> Remaining errors tjener/terminal-server:
> 	  error: ./ldap-client: TLS search for cn=admins failed.
> 	  => not yet investigated
May be the move of admin to super-admin? :-)

> 	  error: ./nagios: Nagios count NUMSVCUNKN is not zero but 1.
>        	  => unclear to me, the script (iirc in sitesummary) that
>        	  reports the error doesn't report any error when called alone(?!)

bye Andreas