Re: GUI to ldap administration

Hi,

(replying to the admin tool aspect will have to remain on my todo list a bit
longer..)

On Mittwoch, 10. März 2010, Nigel Barker wrote:
> What I would like to be improved (more than lwat) is slbackup.php. I
> have failed to backup to another machine on Etch and now Lenny. It
> would be fantastic if I could manage to do that through slbackup.php

I wondered the other day why we install slbackup(-php) when we appearantly
dont even know how to use it (or at least, write good documentation for it,
see
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Maintainance#BackupManagement)

It seems to me backuppc would be a much better solution for
our "out-of-the-box"-target-audience. Quoting it's homepage: "Features
include clever pooling of identical files, no client-side software, and a
powerful Apache/CGI user interface." and especially the last one seems like a
real win to me (and I know from experience thats it's indeed powerful and
intuitive to use), while it keeps the features we need: rsync backup and
configuration via textfiles too.

Probably it's wise to tackle one problem at the time, and the admin tool is
definitly the more pressing issue we have, but maybe someone wants to
investigate this... or Nigel could give backuppc a try and report back his
results.

cheers,
	Holger