Re: Skolelinux + Sun Rays?

Am Mittwoch, 10. Februar 2010 schrieb José "L. Redrejo" Rodríguez:
> The latest, some Sun people came to prepare a small pilot for
>  testing, using their hardware for the clients, but installing the
>  software in our Debian server. The software they installed was
>  software from Sun, not LTSP.

Hola José,

thanks for this insights - I have not deeper insights into the sunray
technology, but your report suggests that they have their own service
(running on its own port), and that the client hardware is combined with
a proprietary firmware which can only boot from Sun's servers.

I don't know, if opensolaris could be a solution here (to leave
proprietary stuff, anyway), or if there is any chance to "flash" these
clients with a linux bios or build in a pxe capable network interface --
I think this is the direction the original poster was heading at.

Kind of: How to re-furnish sunray clients (hardware) to be used in a
LTSP (debian edu) network.

Regards
Ralf