Re: debian based education solution in extremadura

El mar, 28-04-2009 a las 10:32 +0200, gerhard.oettl.ml@ogersoft.at
escribió:
> Hello
>
> The area of extremadura has a debian based solution for his schools. Are there
> any english (or german) web resources out there to learn more about what has
> been done and whats the state?
> www.linex.org seams to be spain-only.

Everything is in spanish, as far as I know. The only documentation in
english I know is this old doc:
http://www.linex.org/joomlaex/images/dossierprensaingles.pdf

Anyway: www.linex.org is the branding for the official distribuition the
Extremadura government make for every citizen. That is based on Debian
Lenny and includes the education-xxx metapackages, but it's not Debian
Edu.

Debian Edu is being using in Education, in the schools of the regions,
and has been deployed by the ministry of Education to the secondary
schools (we're working in the deployment for primary schools now,
planned on the beginning of the next course).
If you need some numbers, in secondary schools, today we have 3140 ltsp
servers working, 135*2 main servers (we have the main server services
split in two machines per school) and, according to our automatic
inventory, (57078 -3140 -135*2) workstations, most of them working as
ltsp clients (the average is 15 per classroom or ltsp server). Those
computers were bought 5/6/7 years ago and have been working as
workstation until the beginning of 2009.

So, in brief, www.linex.org is more generic and it's just Debian.

Information about the use of Debian Edu is at linex.educarex.es and
technical information about its deployment, infraestructure, setup and
help for the schools is available at
http://administradores.educarex.es/wiki/ but, it's all in spanish. Maybe
you could understand
http://administradores.educarex.es/wiki/index.php/Nueva_estructura_de_red_y_servidores_en_los_institutos as it has three graphics: the old setup, and the new setup (for schools with a centralized electronic room, and for schools with the switch in every classroom). It's also in spanish, but it's graphical and the services (NFS, ldap, etc. have no translation)

Regards.
José L.