Re: SkoleLinux and Live disks

> Hello.
>
> We were looking for a live Edubuntu CD iso image, to download and write,
> and
> demonstrate to a relative who is a deputy principal (and, it would be a
> good
> opportunity, in another state of Australia, where the state government is
> reported to be going to spend 25 million AUD to supply and install
> software on
> computers for students and teachers).

Hi Bret,
Please consider the purpose of your demo. If you just want to show what
Linux is like, then a well established live distro is what you should use
(Sidux, Puppy, Knoppix,...). Sure give the Skolelinux live CD a try, but
you will gather from this list that it may not be well tested, and its
certainly not a focus of the team.

If its the edu-specific apps you need to show, then you could install edu
apps onto a regular linux distro - you don't need edubuntu or skolelinux
just to show some apps.

The beauty of skolelinux is that it installs your whole school network -
servers, desktops and thin clients. You are not going to show that with a
live CD. However if you install a combi-server onto an old computer with 2
NICs, and PXE-boot your relative's computer as a thin client, then you
will be on the way to showing what it can do. (can the live CD function as
a combi server anyone?)

Please write back if you need help.

nigel