Re: (N)X2Go - LowBandwith sessions for takeaway incl. sound

This is an update of the running discussion about a possible integration of x2go in skolelinux.

I've been asked some questions which I will answer in this email so everybody can follow the progress. There is a major difference in the settings we use for openldap compared to the default settings of debian. We are using SSL encryption and had some problems with the smbldap tools. To answer the question if it is possible to change x2go that way that it may be possible to use the default debian settings: Yes it is possible!
I think, it would be better to use the encruption, but yes, we can change the way of installation so that there is no need for certificate generation or any other task using debconf.
Another question I was asked: "why should x2go be a part of debian?". I was told that skolelinux prefers official packages of debian. So you may ask the question "why should x2go bei a part of skolelinux?". There are some bavarian schools using x2go, which wan't to take advantage of the skolelinux community (the most people are teacher and "talk the same language"). x2go is - at the moment - fairly unknown in the universe of skolelinux users. I had a talk to Ralf on Linux Day 2007 about x2go and one of the ideas of this conversation was a skolelinux integration. This was the beginning of the first step into this dependency. For skolelinux x2go would be a chance to get a low bandwith, ldap based terminalserver solution (which of cause could also be the FreeNX project).
Further questions were asked about x2go - not about the procedure of skolelinux integration:
Why is x2go incompatible to nx? The idea behind x2go was born before the integration of the free nx libraries. We wanted to build a secure, linux based thin client environment with device based authentification and session suspending and resuming features. Furthermore we wanted it to be multiserver and ldap capable. The nx libraries added the low bandwith capability to the project, but we didn't adopt the smb filesharing and the esd audio redirect. The important feature of filesharing was realized over SSHFS and FUSE, which are linux based projects. x2go uses PAM for authentification and includes a LDAP browser in the client to speed up the login process. There is a client build on QT4, a command line client and soon there will be a native GTK client for Gnome users.
Why don't you join the FreeNX project and use their sources? The focus of FreeNX is "building a nomachien nx compatible server". Our project is not nx compatible. There was never a discussion which is the right way. If there are things we can share, it should be no problem!
We have a faq on our project site (x2go.berlios.de), but feel free to ask me further questions, if you are interested.
I made these discussions public to show you (skolelinux&debian) the state of the project.

Thank you for reading,

Heinz