Re: http://people.skolelinux.{org,no}/

Ronny Aasen wrote:
Axel Bojer wrote:
Morten Werner Forsbring wrote:
Hi,

I have created the website people.skolelinux.{org,no} as a replacement
for d.skolelinux.no/~username/, skolelinux.no/~username/ and similar
homepage-sites. An example is Petter's homepage [1].

Have fun! :)

- Werner

[1] http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/

Ok, so thats why my link did not work anymore :-P

Could you make
http://www.people.skolelinux.org/pere/

point to the same too?

I find it really confusing to remember to omit the www, because normally both point to the same place.
hi axel :)

personaly i find the www in front of everything very annoying. The www is in some rare cases usefull as a method to find the first site to start on, on a given domain. But in my opinion, there should be one, and only one www.something on a domain. In this case we allready have www.skolelinux.no. So having to maintain 2 server aliases for each and every subdomain, or host gives users very little, while adding both dns and web admin workload.

you could try making it a habit to omit the www allways, since it almost allways works without.

what i was trying to say in my rambelings above is. the effort is not just worth it.

I disagree, this really depends on the audience. For our audience being mostly technological skilled people, I guess most will understand. But ask joe user and s/he will probably just thing that the page is down and not give a second thought about omitting www. But if those users don't matter, then it could count as unecessary work, I guess.

As said almost every other web page out there does this, and one line or two lines in a configuration file can't be that much of a difference, can it? So to me it seems that this is more a philosophical question than a question about the work load.

But the one doing the work has to decide, so ...

But I shall remember to omit www, that's an easy rule to follow, I guess :-)

Best regards
Axel Bojer