Debian-Edu/Skolelinux Release Candidate 1

The Debian-Edu/Skolelinux project is pleased to announce that the next test release of "Debian-Edu/Skolelinux 3.0, codename 'terra'" is ready.
This is the fifth test release based on Debian/Etch. It is available
to download using FTP, HTTP and rsync.

This is the first release candidate of debian-edu etch. After that we will release RC2 and RC3 with shorter delays in between and then we will release. So please file bugs at http://bugs.skolelinux.org/ NOW, if you see problems. Even if you dont have available hardware to test on, you can still help with testing in qemu. The page http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/TestCDinstall will help you get started.

test4 was one day late, so we shifted the release schedule: we now plan to release RC2 on May 27h, RC3 on June 3nd and Debian-Edu etch on June 10th. We might cut RC2 and RC3, as we want to release at the end of May.

Highlights of RC1

* Firefox is now installed by default, with a few much used translations.
* The hostname is now correctly set based on DNS name.
* This release reintroduces the CD. It will grab the packages that did not fit on the first cd from network. * debian-edu-doc is a new package containing all documentation. Currently it lacks update of the information for etch and translation. Help welcome! * slbackup-php is now installed as default. Test it with http://tjener.intern/slbackup-php * Checks in place to avoid installing the standalone profile together with any of the others.

The ISO image is 4.4 GiB large. To download it, use either of these methods:
ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-DVD-rc1.iso
http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-DVD-rc1.iso
rsync ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-DVD-rc1.iso

for the netinstall cd you can download
ftp://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-netinst-rc1.iso
http://ftp.skolelinux.org/skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-netinst-rc1.iso
rsync ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/debian-edu_etch-i386-netinst-rc1.iso

The powerpc and amd64 ports are still under development, and are currently not officially a supported part of Debian-Edu.

Regards
--
Ronny Aasen