minutes from the meeting on 20070426

Hi,

the contents of this mail is much better readable at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting/20070426/Minutes - the full log of
the meeting is at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting/20070426/log

regards,
	Holger

The Debian-Edu meeting has been held on Thursday 26 April 2007 from 18:00 UTC
to 19:28 (UTC) #[MAILTO] debian-edu@irc.oftc.net:6667

 Moderator: Petter Reinholdtsen aka pere
 Log collector: HolgerLevsen aka h01ger
 Writing summary: HolgerLevsen aka h01ger

Patiticipants

 pere_ = Petter Reinholdtsen
 h01ger = Holger Levsen
 jever = Jürgen Leibner
 luk_ = Luk Claes
 sep = Ronny Aasen
 jredrejo = José L. Redrejo
 markos = Konstantinos Margaritis

Agenda

Is a new Backupsolution for DebianEdu needed?
slbackup-php available
Status of the dvd
Comments on the DebianEdu/LinEx2DebianEdu-Roadmap
closing comment on cipux:
meeting time
Minutes

Is a new Backupsolution for DebianEdu needed?

Yes. We used to use slbackup as a backend with a wlus-frontend, and wlus is
gone. slbackup is still there.

slbackup-php available

slbackup-php is a new frontend, written by finnarne. It's available in
etch-test and needs testers.

jever also tested backuppc but thinks we should slbackup/slbackup-php for
skolelinux (finnarne said in the end that backuppc has no frontend for
teachers and lacks other frontend features).

so please test slbackup-php and report your experiences!

Status of the dvd

i386 dvd seems to be fine, though klausade reported that samba is broken. We
need to confirm and possible fix this, a good first step would be a bugreport
in bugzilla and a link to that on [WWW]
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Status/Etch

localisation on the installed system also seems to be broken (at least
keyboard layout) - it would be interesting to know if KDE, OOo and other
things are correctly localized in German, now that localization-config isn't
available. (and the other languages, of course, but our biggest non-norwegian
user base is germany .:)

keyboard on thinclients also is in english :(

Comments on the ["DebianEdu/LinEx2DebianEdu-Roadmap"]

LinEx plans to deploy debian-edu based installs next year, this means they
will deploy debian-edu etch. so they should test the dvd *now*, to check if
gnome is there and works, spanish translations, etc

LinEx needs flash, java and squeak - which are all not available as free
software _yet_. pere asked jredrejo to add flash pages, which dont work with
free flash (gnash), to [WWW]
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/FlashInDebianEdu

LinEx also has a bunch of spanish educational free software, which c/should be
translated to become available to all.

For etch it would be ok to install debian-edu from cd/dvd, together with a
linex-installer udeb, which then adds some linex apt-repository to
sources.lists and installs that. This is currently just an idea... The etch
release would only be a test to know if Linex can achieve the goals, but the
total joining with DebianEdu would be with lenny, where extra repositories
will be avoided.

The linexedu2006 package is available at [WWW]
http://apt.linex.org/linex2006/dists/cl/linexedu2006/

Squeak packages are also available, see for example [WWW]
http://apt.linex.org/linex2006/dists/cl/linexedu2006/binary-i386/matematicas/squeak-geometria_1.0-1_all.deb

It would be great if the linex team could compare their package list with the
packages on the etch dvd and report whats missing, so that we can add those.

closing comment on cipux

If cipux should be part of the debian-edu etch release, please get your
package ready *fast*.

meeting time

If we want finnare to attend the meetings, it has to be moved, either to 19:30
UTC or to another day (not Tuesday before 18:30 CEST either). Same is true
for winnie.

Currently the next meeting is scheduled for Thurday, 2007-05-10 at 18.00 UTC,
agenda at [WWW] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting - which is when
finnarne and winnie cannot attend.