Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:12:44 +0100, Patrick Winnertz <patrick.winnertz@skolelinux.org> wrote:

Am Montag, den 26.02.2007, 22:59 +0100 schrieb Bjarne Nielsen:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:32:01 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
wrote:

> [Patrick Winnertz]
>> I think we should give it a try, to have a look what is removed from the
>> cd. if it is to much I'll remove iceweasel again.
>
> Sounds good.  firefox used to be on the first CD, and thus iceweasel
> should take its place.
>
> I'm not sure if iceweasel is that much better than konqueror that we
> should spend CD space on it, and KDE need konqueror to work properly.
> What do the rest of you think.  Is konqueror in etch enough for most
> users?
>
> Friendly,

Unfortunately there are a lot of web pages not working to well with
konqueror, and it's not very good at handling all kinds of plugins. A lot
of educational net based software depends on browsers with different
plugins. IMHO iceweasel should be on cd1, along with most common plugins,
It should be included on the next etch-test with the most common
languages. I haven't included all, that would be 44 languages.. I looked
which languages are installed for kde and tried to install the same ones
for iceweasel.
Atm no plugins are installed i think... which plugins do think are
important?

flash, java, mplayer, acroread... Or substitutes. Most online educational software is based on flash.

and gimp should be replaced with digikam with plugins. Digikam is lighter than gimp, but suits most needs for image manipulation in schools. Gimp is
somewhat heavy, and the common situation in schools is that you have
groups with at least 5-10 pupils at a time. 5-10 users using gimp on thin
clients simultaneously is not a very good idea...
I don't know digikam, but what do the others say to this idea?

Don't know, but I have installed it on some schools, and at least the ones I've spoken to, appreciates its ease of use, and the easy tools for doing batch processes like resizing a lot of images in one go. It is good for sorting pictures, viewing pictures (one by one, or as thumbs), resizing, color correction, red eye reduction, cropping, etc. It is also useful for getting images from a digital camera.

Bjarne

Greetings
Patrick