Re: lwat - user administration tool

Am Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2007 18:01 schrieb RalfGesellensetter:
> Dear Juergen,

Hi Ralf,

> as I didn't find the time to d/l any test CDs, I am grateful for your
> evaluation.
>
> Am Dienstag 16 Januar 2007 20:32 schrieb Jürgen Leibner:
> > At this point I gave up testing this tool, because it lacks of
> > essential functionality for lowest level of use.
> > For use in school enviroment there have to be not only a lot more
> > functions, there also have to be a well designed interface for
> > pointing the admin to the essentials.
>
> Here, I feel, it is not fair to "compare apples to pears": Considering
> that LWAT was developed in short time to replace a webmin module (and
> thus webmin as a whole), it deserves some positive notice that it
> covers the basic funcitons in a funcional way.

I didn't compare tools. I told what I had done and gave my point of view.
My intention was and is to give positive critic as good as I can, to enable
the developers to get closer to the users needs.
As you all know, debian-edu is very close to the users needs because of it's
concept and not at least of engagement of its developers. It has only lost a
tool for administration. This should be seen as a chance, not as a tragedy.

> If you compare lwat to wlus and regard its youth, it gives some hope for
> the future.

Hope is essential for live ;-)

> But it is not fair to compare lwat (meant as a KISS
> approach) to a mature user administration tool like CipUX which has
> been used by universities context for years, now. This is like
> comparing a lavvu tent to a rocky church in Göreme, or so.

As I wrote above, I had not compared tools.
If I want to compare these two tools, cipux has to be testable first.
So today there is no chance to test.

That I'm working for bringing up cipux to a testable state does not hold me
back to have a look at lwat and give others a chance to see it alive and test
it to get their own impression.

My hope is, that there will be an admintool in debian-edu that can fullfill
teachers and admins wishes in every  way. Therefor I will work and give my
best as good I can.

Greetings, Jürgen