About sending e-mails privately in the Skolelinux community

Finn-Arne was asking why people sending e-mail privately when it
concern everyone? He continues:

> When we try to have a private mailinglist, for private discussions,
> that otherwise would have been emails between personals, they fight
> for the right to poke in and monitor the mailing list. I dont get
> it. I think I'll leave you all alone.

This was triggered by the private e-mail from Ralf Gesellensetter,
were Finn-Arne also attached Ralfs private mail. The response was
this:

> First of all: I usually don't feel addressed by "they" (but
> obviously I am not the only one). The reason why I decided to send a
> personal mail (which is something most people respect as private
> matter) is that otherwise this mail would have gotten an official
> touch which was not intended. The reason why I sent it to you, was
> that I met you in real live - and your posting let me think that you
> might know a simple answer to my question.

I know my participation in this «debate» could be to put my hand into
an wasp nest, but I'll try anyway.

- The reason we want that development information and discussion has
  to be done in public, is that the Skolelinux / Debian-Edu effort is
  a large group effort. To send private e-mail about development,
  gatherings and so on, hinders others that would or could contribute
  to a solution. If a person get sick or leave us for some reason,
  others can easily catch up.

- The other reason is that when tings are done openly, more people can
  think of an solution on a problem. It's smarter to work in parallel
  than to close others out. It's a lot of articles that confirm that
  this is an more efficient and effective way to develop
  software. It's also rooted in the Debian Social Contract.

  http://www.debian.org/social_contract

- When this communication are open, it's also more easy to let other
  contribute. Ragnar Wisloeff used whole the developer gathering to
  collect information about the new build-system i Skolelinux, because
  he would commit some changes. It was not written any guide to do
  this. Even if it was easily done, it was no guide to follow, and you
  don't always know were to start if the system is a black
  box. Ragnar, with nice help from Finn-Arne on IRC, has written the
  first step of the guide. After he has recovered his harddisk the
  guide will be committed to Skolelinux CVS :-)

When should e-mail be private when contributing to Skolelinux /
Debian-Edu?

- Well, my rule of thumb is when people just have your name in the
  header, and the questions in hand does not has anything to do with
  free software development. If I send a question some have sent me
  privately, I'll make it anonymous if I want answer from others.
  I'll make it clear that it's not my question, but It would be nice
  if someone know the answer :-)

- Some seldom times, when a user asks question on how to do things in
  Skolelinux, and my answer concerns a lot of people, your answer(s)
  could be posted to e.g the user list. I've have also given the
  person who ask, the warning that the answer is posted on a
  e-mail-list with an recommendation that the teacher should subscribe
  to the appropriated list, e.g from here: