Fwd: Memory usage under Ubuntu + LTSP 4.1

An interesting test about memory usage og LTSP from Jonathan Carter:

----------  Videresendt melding  ----------

Subject: Memory usage under Ubuntu + LTSP 4.1
Date: tirsdag 13. september 2005, 19:40
From: Jonathan Carter <jonathan@shuttleworthfoundation.org>

Hi

Last week, I did some tests in a tuXlab and looked at how much RAM an
LTSP server uses with different programs. This is an Ubuntu 5.04 server
with LTSP 4.1, so usage should be slightly different, although similar
to an Edubuntu installation.

Before any of the thin clients boot up, the server uses 60MB RAM with
all services started. A local GDM session is also running on the
 server.

== Startup memory usage (GDM): ==

 * Memory usage before thin clients start: 60MB

 1:  97 MB (37 MB per client)
 2: 103 MB (21.5 MB per client)
 4: 114 MB (13.5 MB per client)
 8: 138 MB (9.75 MB per client)
16: 185 MB (7.12 MB per client)
27: 249 MB (7 MB per client)

GDM (the graphical login manager we use) scales well, and it seems to
share some things in RAM quite effectively.

== Login memory usage (GNOME- tuXlab default): ==

 * Memory usage before login: 249 MB

 1: 278 MB (30 MB per client)
 2: 306 MB (28.5 MB per client)
 4: 362 MB (28.25 MB per client)
 8: 473 MB (28 MB per client)
16: 687 MB (27.75 MB per client)
27: 987 MB (27.33 MB per client)

GNOME seems to use just under 30MB per thin client, not seeming to
 share many things in RAM.

== OpenOffice.org ==

 * Memory usage before opening OOo: 987 MB

 1: 1009 MB (22 MB per client)
 2: 1029 MB (21 MB per client)
 4: 1073 MB (21 MB per client)
 8: 1157 MB (21 MB per client)
16: 1326 MB (21 MB per client)
27: 1557 MB (21 MB per client)

OpenOffice.org uses just a bit more than 20MB per thin client.

== GCompris ==

 * Memory usage before running GCompris: 1044MB

 1: 1050 MB (6 MB per client)
 2: 1056 MB (6 MB per client)
 4: 1068 MB (6 MB per client)
 8: 1092 MB (6 MB per client)
16: 1140 MB (6 MB per client)
27: 1204 MB (5.92 MB per client)

GCompris uses just about 6MB RAM per thin client.

== Mozilla Firefox ==

 * Memory usage before running Mozilla Firefox: 1080MB

 1: 1089 MB (9 MB per client)
 2: 1099 MB (9.5 MB per client)
 4: 1117 MB (9.25 MB per client)
 8: 1154 MB (9.25 MB per client)
16: 1228 MB (9.25 MB per client)
27: 1331 MB (9.29 MB per client)

Mozilla Firefox uses 9.25MB per client.

== Mozilla Firefox with Computers4Kids Flash Application ==

 * Memory usage before opening C4k "Dress the Ellie": 1331MB

 1: 1335 MB (4 MB per client)
 2: 1340 MB (4.5 MB per client)
 4: 1348 MB (4.25 MB per client)
 8: 1365 MB (4.25 MB per client)
16: 1400 MB (4.31 MB per client)
27: 1446 MB (4.26 MB per client)

As soon as you load a flash application, memory usage increases by a
little more than 4MB per station.

== Freemind (Java application) ==

 * Memory usage before starting Freemind: 1050 MB

 1: 1055 MB (5 MB per client)
 2: 1081 MB (15.5 MB per client)
 4: 1111 MB (15.25 MB per client)
 8: 1174 MB (15.5 MB per client)
16: 1296 MB (15.37 MB per client)
27: 1464 MB (15.33 MB per client)

Freemind requires 15.5MB per client.

== KDE and XFCE compared to GNOME ==

 * In the first test, we concluded that GNOME uses an average of 28MB
RAM per user for a clean login.
 * Server has been rebooted before testing KDE

     KDE MEM  (PU) 219       XFCE MEM (PU) 243
 1:  251 MB   (32.00 MB)     252 MB   (9 MB)
 2:  279 MB   (30.00 MB)     265 MB   (11 MB)
 4:  338 MB   (29.75 MB)     283 MB   (10 MB)
 8:  457 MB   (29.75 MB)     319 MB   (9.5MB)
16:  684 MB   (29.06 MB)     391 MB   (9.25MB)
27:  992 MB   (28.63 MB)     492 MB   (9.22MB)

KDE uses just a bit more RAM than GNOME, but seems to come down on a
 per user basis as more users log in.

== Please Note ==

These findings don't mean much on their own, programs were run without
with just a few tabs open.

== New experiments ==

This particular computer lab has brand new, 2.5ghz Celeron computers
with 256MB RAM, and they're being used as thin clients. What I'm going
to look at this week, is to install Edubuntu, and try to convert the
LTSP chroot environment to a full Ubuntu setup (but still with unionfs,
etc) and also use NIS client from this environment to the server, so
that these machines can be used as diskless fat clients. I'll try to
script it, if it works, I'm sure Oli will help me fix it up, perhaps we
could have it included in edubuntu breezy+1 as well :)

-Jonathan