Re: Debian-edu/Skolelinux and Edubuntu cooperation

On 09-05-2005 08:21, Markus Gamenius wrote:

> Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
>
>> On Δευτέρα 09 Μάιος 2005 00:54, Halvor Dahl wrote:
>>
>>> Ubuntu may sound like the right answer, but what is the question?
>>> In my opinion, it is "How do we get control over our release
>>> process?" and not "What distro should we chose?".
>>

>> Fwiw, I strongly oppose jumping overboard to Ubuntu. However little my
>> opinion may matter, I'll just say this. Ubuntu _is_ a commercial
>> product. It may or may not be there in 2 or more years.
>

> This i is why I argue for beeing less distro-centric. This way we will
> stay whatever happends with Debian, Ubuntu or the others.

Please elaborate.

Debian defines a set of rules for packaging, decides when each package
can be considered "unstable", "testing" and "stable", and from time to
time packages together whole sets of packages and call it a "stable
distribution release".

Debian has core rule of most possible rules allowing room for a huge
amount of developers moving in their own pace.

Ubuntu derives from this, but cuts off that "annoying" part of
respecting different agendas of each developer - instead, developers are
being paid to work on a common, more well-defined agenda.

Skolelinux is a derivative as well. But what is more sane than deriving
from the "mothership of .deb-based distributions"?

Perhaps Skolelinux should release its "stable distribution releases" in
another frequency than Debian. Who should then handle the extended
security-maintainance?

Perhaps Skolelinux should pick some packages from Debian, some from
Ubuntu, some from debian.jones.dk maybe, and... Who should then handle
the extended security-maintainance AND conflicts between packages not by
each "provider" testing together in our mix? Remember that not only
installation matters, but upgrades between our releases as well!

So, in short - what do you mean by "less distro-centric"?

 - Jonas

- --