Re: Skolelinux jobs for students

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> > > Hard to do in a generic way that works across several school systems.
> > > But it is not very hard to set up per school.
> >
> > Ok, it could be a subjet for a job student. How to modelize into
> > Skolelinux
>
> I suppose you could do something like have an optional common directory
> for each unix group.  This could appear as a link in the home directory
> (and perhaps on the desktop) if it exists.

Actually, there might be a simpler way that would suit everyone.  A scheme
that is used on a number of offices I have worked in both for Windows &
Linux.

 - Create a single directory called "general" somewhere
 - Make it world readable (it's usually also world writable, though discuss)
 - Have a link to it on the KDE desktop and/or in each user's home dir
 - Have samba login script mount it as g:\ (add to Windows desktop too)

The above can be a part of Skolelinux as standard.  The administrator must
then only:

 - explain that this is a public area where everyone collaborates (no
   default privacy)
 - create a directory in there for every such collaborative group
 - if some group needs privacy, permission their directory accordingly

I know the last step isn't entirely trivial but it's not so tough and the
functionality is there by default with no privacy.

In most samba office networks I've seen each windows machine maps:

General	g:\ 	world read-write
Home 	h:\	home directory
Shared 	s:\	world read-only (shared apps, docs, etc)

Gavin