Re: debconf procedures and SMC as a trusted organization

Reply in-line :-

On 18/04/2018, Balasankar C <balasankarc@autistici.org> wrote:
> Hi,

Dear Bala,

> On 04/17/2018 11:32 PM, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>
>> Interestingly, through my journey I came across some content which
>> shared that SMC had tried to get trusted organization but didn't get
>> anywhere.
>
> To be honest, I don't remember this. AFAIR, SMC provided us help and
> support with financial infrastructure (for collecting sponsorships) and
> similar help with organizing a few local Debian related events (like
> Debian release parties, DebUtsav etc.). Other than that, I don't
> remember SMC ever officially applying to be a Trusted Organization to
> Debian. Could you share the content you came across regarding this, so
> that I can refresh my memory?

Actually the correct term used was 'Associated Sponsorship'

https://www.spi-inc.org/meetings/logs/2013/2013-06-13-log.txt

See this bit as 21:27 -

21:27 #SPI: < Noodles> We have an outstanding mail from Swathanthra
Malayalam Computing (http://smc.org.in) about becoming an associated
project.
21:27 #SPI: < Noodles> I don't know anything about them to be honest.
21:27 #SPI: < Noodles> But I'll try to reply in the next few days as
it's been sitting around on board@ for a while now.

> I know at least Bala (of SMC, GNOME, GNUKhata, Debian and
>> probably few more upstream projects) participated in Debconf 2017.
>>
>> @Bala were you able to advance the discussion about how SMC operates
>> and how it could benefit both the organizations or/and get
>> requirements from Debconf as to the requirements that an organization
>> needs to do to be called as 'trusted organization' in Debian.
>
> No. I didn't attend DebConf 2017 and don't remember having any
> discussions regarding anything TO related.

oh, my bad. I thought you had applied for it and got the funding for it

my bad indeed, turns out it was FOSSAsia

https://balasankarc.in/tech/fossasia-2018.html

> PS: My association with GNUKhata is only that I helped a bit its
> packaging for Debian, and the fact that I recommend that over Tally to
> anyone who asks me.

I know you had done that. I remember some obscure library had some issues
and the developer of that library in question was being rude and obtrusive
when it could have been better.

I thought your association ran more deep.

Maybe Praveen did and then forgot about it. It's strange but nonetheless
might be a good idea to have an organization like that.

Actually, FSCI could be a good thing if we get it registered, perhaps
</thinking aloud>