Re: How to convert html to PDF?

Hi Shrini,

First of all: Welcome to Debian DUG-in!

Quoting Shrinivasan T (2017-01-30 17:52:29)
> I am looking for a solution to convert HTML to PDF with custom Tamil
> language fonts and custom paper size.
>

> My findings are here
> https://goinggnu.wordpress.com/2016/02/06/need-help-html-
> to-pdf-with-custom-fonts/
>
> 1. we can use firefox, print pdf feature
> 2. PhantomJS
> 3. wkhtmltopdf
>
> Firefox solution is working fine.
> see point 8 at https://goinggnu.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/how-to-create-
> an-ebook-for-free-tamil-ebooks-com/
>
> PhantomJS and wkhtmltopdf are not picking custom tamil fonts and custom
> paper size.
>

> Share your thoughts if we have any other tools on this.

Here are some suggestions - none of them tested with Tamil specifically,
but I believe most of them are newer than the 2014 blog post mentioned
above:

pdf2htmlex
webkit2pdf
cutycapt
python-pisa
wkhtmltopdf
php-dompdf

You might also try pandoc (unlikely to work without fine-tuning, but if
it works then you can do powerful things like scraping a web page and
apply a LaTeX template to produce professional-grade output - like I did
with http://source.jones.dk/eut.git/ to produce http://eut.biks.dk/ - an
60+ pages research study edited on a wiki and finalized as PDF books
optimized for print and "ebook-style" use.

Anyone knowing more details on above methods and how the fail, or
additional alternative, I am quite interested too.

I am most interested in non-interactive methods (clicking around in
Firefox or Chromium scale badly for my use cases), and preferrably
methods not involving PHP or java.

 - Jonas