Re: Proposal for new fully free distro based on Debian

Jonas Smedegaard എഴുതി:
> Hi Yogesh,
>
> Quoting yogesh powar (2015-01-25 12:11:08)>> Swaraj Gnu/Linux wants to be a fully Free alternative for Indian
>> community with long term goal of spreading awareness about Free
>> Softwares.> Quite interesting!>> 1. Why yet another new Libre Gnu Linux ?
>>
>> In Jan 2015, Indian Government [1] decided to move on a Made In India
>> Gnu/Linux operating system, which unfortunately is not a Free Software
>> [2]. Free Software means the users have the freedom to run, copy,
>> distribute, study, change and improve the software.
>>
>> Hence there is a need of time to provide a fully Free alternative.
>>
>> Swaraj will be completely build by the community and for the
>> community.> To me the fact that Indian Government makes yet another fork is not an
> argument to make yet another fork. Seems above really only answers "why
> must it be Libre?" and I am curious what is your reason to make it a
> fork rather than improve Debian itself in the areas you find is weak
> currently for your needs.
>
> My guesses are that a) you feel Debian is "too english oriented" and
> that b) you want the distribution tied to a *local* community rather
> than the international one of Debian.
>
> Here is a concrete suggestion: Go ahead and launch Swaraj, but instead
> of forking most possible, fork the _least_ possible, and have as goal to
> get all of your works assimilated by Debian.  Why?  Because then you
> keep your branding and concrete product but is not bogged down by the
> heavy(!) burden of maintaining dulpicated big infrastructure - you leave
> that to Debian.  And your users will gain *both* the many eyeballs of
> Debian *and* your passion for their special needs.
>
> That style of development has a name: Debian Blend.  And the goal is
> called a Debian Pure Blend¹:
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends#Terminology

I would also suggest a Debian Pure Blend. Making a CD or USB image is just starting. Maintaining a separate distro is no easy.

Also did you look at hamaralinux.org? You could join hands with them. Currently they are based on Ubuntu but they are planning to shift to Debian base in next release.

You can talk to Vikas (copied in this mail).