Re: An agenda going forward for Debian-IN

Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> writes:

> On Wednesday 12 November 2014 01:50 PM, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
>> I am pleased to see the number of events organized by our community is
>> increasing.  However there are some concerns.
>>
>> 1.  Debian-In is not a legally recognized entity.  This means receiving
>> any kind of monetary donations, goods, services etc (which will be
>> essential for growth). is playing with fire.  Our first of business
>> should be to get it organized as a duly constituated NGO, charitable
>> society or whatever status makes sense under Indian law.  This
>> organization could also formally invite foreigners to events (a need
>> which I unexpectedly experienced recently.)
>>
>> I can tell you we can forget about hosting Debconf in India any time
>> soon with out this step.
>
> I don't really think we need this. Like Anivar already proposed and like
> how Debian works with SPI, we can work with SMC or other organizations
> to accept donations.

I think its better we have a organization, just like Debian.CH or
france.debian.net, IIRC for Debconf13 its debbian.ch guys who did the
organization stuff, so why not have a debian.in? I know initial
difficulties involved in creating such organization but in longer run
keeping debconf in mind its better to have.

[snip]

>> 2.  Debian content.  The principal aim should be to increase awareness
>> of and participation in the Debian project.  While we do intersect with
>> other Free Software/Open Source projects to lesser or greater degrees,
>> Debian has a unique viewpoint.  It is not clear to me that this always
>> gets articulated.  Take the recent minidebconf/debutsav flap for
>> instance. Frankly I don't see why there has to be any non-Debian content
>> in a Deb* but if there is it should only a minor amount and still have a
>> Debian "angle" in some way.
>
> It is good that you shared your vision, but as a project, my vision or
> any other members' vision has the same relevance/value as yours unless
> it is violating debian policies. We changed the name to debutsav only to
> respect your ideas about how a mini debconf should be, but now that we
> are creating a new brand, and we are within our rights to continue it as
> we defined it.
>
> I have already articulated why I want to have an event where we give
> space for other Free Software contributors. It is not even my unique
> idea, Fedora does that already with their conferences.
>
> For me, Debian is another Free Software project, though an important one
> as I chose to contribute to it. But choosing to associate Debian with
> such an event gives prominence to debian and gives a chance to other
> Free Software contributors to learn about debian.
>
> It would be better for everyone not to try to stop others from doing
> what they like, as long as it does not go against the project.
>
> Why are you so persistent at discouraging people contributing? I thought
> we already concluded this discussion. If you want debian specific or
> debian angled events, it cannot be done by stopping us from doing events
> like debutsav, but encouraging more people to organize debian only
> events. As for stopping us from events like debutsav where we invite
> other Free Software contributors, that would be done only if it is
> officially asked by the Debian project. Can we stop these debates now?
> I'd respect an official statement from the project.

Now where did any one discourage you from contributing or holding
Debutsav as you wish? Please stop taking everything so seriously last
time you took it even to debian-project and even managed to call people
silly, and I really felt bad about this.

As Gunnar stated in his mail reply Debconf is a Debian Developer
conference unlike Fudcon, mini Debconf becomes smaller version of Debian
Developer conference.

Lets do some fruitful work instead of fighting on names shall we?. And
lets please stop this argument here itself.

>> 3.  Speaking of 2.  Do we have some metrics on how many people are
>> brought into the Debian world in these events?  (Not just DD/DM path but
>> installing Debian etc.)  This should be required as part of the
>> post-mortem of any event.
>
> I don't understand it. Who are we accountable to? We are putting our
> efforts and time to organize these events, why would we have to answer
> to anyone? Probably those who fund us might want it to justify spending
> that amount. In that case it would be better not to ask Debian to fund
> any events.

We are not accountable to any one but to ourself, I backed off for
certain time from these conference organization because I'm spending
time and hoping to see some one start working with me in Debian but that
never happened. We saw some people coming in and then going off, yes its
voluntary work and we can't force any one but it also means we are
missing something while organizing because we are failing to get more
people attracted towards Debian.

Similarly when DD's like Jaldhar are spending time to come down to India
he also will want to see how many people came to Debian from previous
conferences and there is nothing wrong in asking that.

We should always learn after the event on what went wrong why people
didn't came back etc. Then only we can improve the community around the
Debian in India.

[snipped]

--
Vasudev Kamath