Re: Purpose of signature?

at bottom :-

On 9/23/14, Great Avenger Singh <arsh840@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> @Sirish
>
> I just saw following lines in your signature.
>
>   My quotes in this email licensed under CC 3.0
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
>
> This seems amazing thing to me. I am creative commons fan also. Does it
> mean we can share ideas on the email and nobody can steal under?, if he/she
> is going to that idea have to apply all the terms of creative commons?
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi all,
@arsh/Great Avenger Singh - the name is Shirish and not sirish.

As far as my understanding of copyright goes, whenever I express
anything by default is copyrighted to me. This is the default way.
When I give it under a different copyleft license then those
conditions apply.  My idea when using the signature is also to
market/sell the idea of creative commons to the general populace as
well (not just free software and hardware hackers). The theory is as
you have applied, the real world is a different world altogether.

Now, in the real world people steal ideas all the time. Putting it
under any copyright or copyleft license doesn't make a difference
unless you are willing to back it up by going to file a suit/case in
court and able to establish the court that both the idea and the
expression was yours and the other has plagiarized or used it in terms
that you hadn't given right to. Based on how good or bad your lawyer
is at asserting your claim you might win or not. Frankly speaking, the
way both copyright itself is constructed and the way it is fought in
the court of law, it's the big fish with deep pockets who are always
at an advantage (at least in India.) Even if your claim is strong,
they can ask for countless continuances which defeats the very purpose
laws and courts were created for, quick justice. But guess this is
very much outside the query you had asked/shared.