Re: Doubts/suggestions with event organization(MiniDebConf '14)

Quoting shirish शिरीष (2014-08-13 17:05:52)
> It may look like we are fighting, but this is in fact a microcosm of
> how Debian operates.

Right.

...and in addition, I might sound more rigid than I ever really am. :-)

> For the record, as far as C-DAC goes, we did have some initial contact
> with some people from C-DAC but for reasons unknown to us (probably
> internal office politics) we were neither able to meet the right
> people or take it any forward.

I might dig out the contacts I gained when visiting India in 2011, if
that might be helpful - i.e. if you share more details of the
conversation attempts you have had recently it might be easier to help.

> Incidentally, Praveen had met people from the Akaash project (for the
> Debian@Akaash) and as per whatever was shared with me, the discussions
> weren't particularly fruitful or at least that was the sense I got
> from him.

Please consider contacting them in public via this list:

Right - Bangalore: http://swecha.org/content/swecha-project

> On the topic of doing Openstreetmap or GIS or what have you, we are
> more than open for it. While we could certainly map Amrita (which I
> guess Pavi would have already done, as he has been a guest of Amrita
> University at least couple of times if not more) both of us

> [Pavi and I] know about openlayers, databases etc. but are not at at
> all familiar with the intricacies therein. I don't think that either
> of would be able to give justice to what OSM or OpenGIS deserves. If
> you know somebody who could walk the students through both the
> concepts, the idea and the implementation, let us know and we will try
> to invite him/her.

Please consider look at Leaflet as better (more lightweight and easier
to customize) alternative to OpenLayers: http://leafletjs.com/

I maintain Leaflet package in Debian, and my girlfriend (Siri) and I use
it for various projects - here are some examples for inspiration:

Custom map of the island where we live (try enable the historic places
at top right corner): http://kort.oroe.biks.dk/ +
http://source.oroe.dk/?p=map.git + git://source.oroe.dk/map

Graphics for educational flyer (includes in source a script to fetch
objects from OpenStreetMap for use e.g. as colored overlay):
http://map.sirireiter.dk/2014/superkilen/ +
http://source.sirireiter.dk/?p=map.git + git://source.sirireiter.dk/map

For MiniDebconf I suggest to frame as either of these:

  * ways to interact with OpenStreetMap using Debian
    a) as web designer
    b) as explorer drawing the pieces missing
    c) as ordinary user wanting to read maps
  * ways to help Debian expand its support for OpenStreetMap
    a) maintain existing packages written in various languages
    b) package (and maintain!) additional code and plugins
    c) report bugs against packages in Debian
    d) contribute translations
    e) document e.g. use cases on https://wiki.debian.org/

Either of those angles can be either hands-on sessions or
teaching-oriented talks or inspirational talks more about personal
experiences.  My point is to make it about Debian.

 - Jonas