Re: [Mini DebConf India] time of another mini debconf India

at bottom :-

On 4/5/14, Rigved Rakshit <r.phate@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We can also keep one mini Debconf in Mumbai. I can help organize. It
> can be in May or later. I personally think that June is a good time as
> the exams of most colleges will be over by then. This will allow
> students to participate as well.
>
> Let me know what you guys think.
>
> Best Regards,
> Rigved

Hi all,
Slightly longish mail so please bare.

Some thoughts of hosting a mini-debconf.

For doing a mini-debconf  the best if we get some academic
institution, for few things :-

a. Most of the colleges have the required infrastructure, i.e. wi-fi,
systems etc.
b. More importantly though is you can share stuff with the upcoming
generation/students.
c. Also important is presence of a good canteen or something which
invariably is in most colleges :)

We can have multiple mini-debconfs in the year, that is not the issue.
We could have one in bangalore, one in mumbai, one in goa. What would
be required is to have some sort of core team to organize as the event
does have it own logistics and things.

One of the things that whoever or whichever team decides to organize,
make sure you have written permissions from the powers that be for
partitioning and dual-booting of systems. There are lots of sys-admins
who run a sort of fiat and do not want GNU/Linux in their environment.
So make sure you have it.

One of the more interesting mini-debconfs at least from the proposals
point of view which I liked was the one which was held last year at
NIT, Calicut .

http://funnel.fossmeet.in/2013/

Note :- Praveen also went this year.

What I really liked is that with the section and level they made it
easier for people to look through and figure out what they wanted to
do. There were still few who still got confused, but many of them at
least had some idea before-hand.

It's also good if people get some sponsorship for the events - best if
there are free software companies or vendors who would sponsor and
advert so students can also learn of probable and possible future
employment opportunities as well. The sponsorship does two things, it
pays for the event itself and also dispels the wrong notion/idea that
free software is against capitalism or anything like that.

As far as Mumbai is concerned, if you do it in late June when the
rains are knocking on Mumbai's doors, count me in. From my perspective
two things work for it :-

a. Kartik Mistry is posted/hosted there :)
b. It's much easier for me to travel - just 3-3.5 hr. train journey.

For Bangalore it also works once rains kick in as well BUT if you do
get number of people interested for it and things are working out next
month, go ahead with it.

Looking forward to people formulating plans and making things happen.

Till l8er.
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17