Re: Need inputs

On 03/02/2011 04:12 PM, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> So, options for you right now - continue with squeeze and install the
> non-free drivers from marillat; (go to debian-multimedia.org site), or
> if you feel like it, and willing to break your system, "upgrade" to
> unstable + experimental.

The binary-only drivers are available in debian's non-free section and the
maintainers do a good job of updating it. Why are you not using that?

By the way, if you don't care about 3D, the new version of nouveau is
just awesome.

> This is a slow and painful process - do not venture unless you have
> unlimited bandwidth; and very familiar with Debian.
>
>  > 2.  I use Apache2 service for my web development & testing.  I have
>  > read it in the debian user forum that without mandatory access
>  > controls such as selinux or
>
> That is valid for all public servers.
>
>  > apparmor we should not run apache2.  If not, we are going to end up
>  > with a vulnerable machine.  Is that right?  I could not fine
>  > apparmor in debian repository so tried installing selnux in a
>  > virtualbox on top o debian as given in URL
>  > http://wiki.debian.org/SELinux/Setup.  I could install it
>  > successfully, upto default permissive mode, but when I try to set
>  > enforcing mode to 1, system becomes non-responsive.  Next restart
>  > will end up in blank screen after entering the user id and
>  > password.  Is there any better way of securing my home desktop?  Or
>  > how do I fix this selinux issue?
>
> While somebody else would answer that, AFAIK, selinux only provides a
> framework to the sysadmin for implementing good security. SElinux
> byitself is not a security tool. I may be wrong though.

In enforcing mode, SELinux is safeguarding your machine right before
init starts.
Anything that is not under the defined policy will be denied.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com