Re: [RFC] Removing support for GCJ and GCJFLAGS from dpkg?

Hi Guillem,

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 02:23:00AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> While going through the supported compilers and build flags recently,
> I noticed that dpkg-buildflags and the various dpkg Makefile fragment
> files still have support for gcj, but that compiler seems to have
> stopped being maintained some time ago. According to Wikipedia
> (<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Compiler_for_Java>) the final
> release was in 2018, and we do not even have it in Debian anymore.
>
> So I guess it should be fine to rip that off? A quick codesearch.d.n
> didn't reveal much of a usage. But I'd like to hear whether this would
> break or disrupt things, before I consider removing these.

No concerns from the Debian Java team.  I can't imagine any breakage,
but if there is any fall-out, it would be due to cruft that we should
clean up anyway.  The dependency on gcj-jdk was dropped from javahelper
(src:javatools) for buster [0].

Thanks for catching this.

Cheers,
tony