postinst corrupts my settings after a 'apt-get upgrade'.

Hello,

i have some problems with the package update mechanism in my appliance. I have
installed various services like 'forked-daapd'. Because i wanted to monitor and
start the daemon via 'monit' i removed the init script from the runlevels via
'update-rc.d -f forked-daapd remove'. After a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' (after
enabling Squeeze backports) i received the package from the backports. The
problem now is that it seems that the 'postinst' script has registered
the runlevels again and the process is statred via init.d script and monit now.

The following is taken from the postinst script of the forked-daapd package in
Squeeze:

# Automatically added by dh_installinit
if [ -x "/etc/init.d/forked-daapd" ]; then
	update-rc.d forked-daapd defaults 25 >/dev/null
	if [ -x "`which invoke-rc.d 2>/dev/null`" ]; then
		invoke-rc.d forked-daapd start || exit $?
	else
		/etc/init.d/forked-daapd start || exit $?
	fi
fi
# End automatically added section

Is it the intention of the package management to corrupt the user settings or
is this a bug?

Another szenario might be that i have installed service xyz but i have disabled
it because i did not want to use it right now. If it is updated via a package
update the default postinst behaviour is to register the init script in the
runlevels and starts the daemon/app/whatever. This is not the behaviour i
expect.

I'm thinking wrong here or is this a problem in dpkg/APT?

In my eyes the postinst script should check whether it is installed the first
time or not. When it is installed the first time the initialization is ok,
but if the package is updated the postinst script should not touch the
configuration anymore.

The forked-daapd package is just an example, the problem seems to me generic.

Regards
Volker