Some upcoming dpkg changes, test and feedback welcome

Hello,

I have been working on two changes for dpkg that I plan to merge sometimes
next week. Until then I would be glad to have some feedback, reviews.

1/ Makefile snippets for use in debian/rules

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/hertzog/dpkg.git;a=commitdiff;h=pu/makefile-snippets

dpkg-dev will start providing some makefile snippets in /usr/share/dpkg/
to retrieve some common values that can be useful in debian/rules.

It includes variables returned by dpkg-buildflags, dpkg-architecture and
dpkg-vendor.

Should I also include some variables corresponding to changelog related
variables ? If yes, we should certainly pick a set compatible with CDBS.
DEB_SOURCE_PACKAGE
DEB_VERSION
DEB_NOEPOCH_VERSION
DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION
DEB_DISTRIBUTION

Note that the makefiles have been written in a way so that they do not
result in useless forks for unused variables (thanks to Mike Hommey for
the idea) and still ensure we run each command only once even if a
variable is referenced multiple times.

I have also decided to not export the build flags in the environment by
default. If the caller really wants this, he should set
DPKG_EXPORT_BUILDFLAGS.

2/ dpkg-source --record-changes

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/hertzog/dpkg.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/pu/master

As discussed on debian-devel at the end of may, I have implemented
some changes to source format 3.0 (quilt) so that a build fails if there
are upstream changes which are not yet managed by quilt. Recording the
change in a new quilt patch must now be done explicitly by the maintainer
with dpkg-source --record-changes. This will require the user to give
a patch name and an editor will be run to let the maintainer edit the
patch header.

It required some important restructuring of the source package build
procedure so I would be glad to have some more people running with this.
Also you might have some input on the new interface.

3/ You can test all those by building and installing dpkg with my
test-build branch, it includes pu/multiarch/full, pu/master and
pu/makefile-snippets.

git clone git://anonscm.debian.org/users/hertzog/dpkg.git -b test-build

4/ We should really think of releasing 1.16.1 once those changes are
merged. Guillem, do you have other things that you wanted to see merged
for 1.16.1?

This release will not block multiarch, since we can always release 1.16.2
to experimental in parallel if needed. I hope that we can tackle the
remaining issues for multiarch during debconf.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)